Friday, December 28, 2012

Well, here we go

I've never written in a blog before.  To be quite honest, I'm not sure how comfortable we are with this whole thing-but we will give it a try!  I'm assuming if you're reading this you know our story, but just in case here's the shortish version:

We cannot get pregnant. (Might as well cut right to the chase, right?) We've tried most of our options and have decided we've had enough of all these infertility treatments.  If it was up to Michael, we would have adopted from the beginning.  That's one thing I love about him.  He wanted to save me from the heartache and skip right to the good stuff.  Well, I'm a woman and as much as I knew God wanted us to adopt, I needed to know if I could get pregnant.  Well that is all in the past and now we are on a much more enjoyable journey: adoption! I don't however want anyone to get the impression that adoption was our second option.  It's not.  We always wanted to adopt, and we discussed it since they day we got engaged.  We just felt that adoption was SO far out of our reach, and boy were we wrong.

Most people also know we have 3 Godsons, but one of them we have had the privilege to be a bigger part of his life.  He has taught us so much in his 7 years on earth, but most importantly he has taught us that we don't need to have a biological child in order to love them with our whole heart.  That was a big key in helping us to feel comfortable with adoption.

Another major factor, my dad.  Yes, ALL of our parents have been a huge support system and they are our biggest fans.  But I was lucky enough to have my dad as my youth pastor growing up.  He took us to an orphanage, loved every member of our youth group as his own, and always wanted to foster or adopt.  He sort of planted the 'adoption seed' in my heart at a young age.

The final two major and most important factors: God & Michael.  Sounds crazy, but we just sort of woke up one day and said, "Yep, God wants us to adopt."  I'm so blessed that Michael and I were on the same page from that day forward.  I've always heard people use the term 'God laid this on our hearts' and I never really knew what that meant, until now. Now I clearly see, understand and feel what people mean when they say that.  God laid it on our hearts to adopt and so far he has set the stage for us and has flung open every door we've walked through this far.

So, here's where we're at.  We are working with a WONDERFUL agency called Nightlight Christian Adoptions.  If you ever want to adopt, I would highly recommend them.  They do ALL kinds of adoptions: International, Domestic, Embryo, etc.  Heck, I could sing their praises all day long. Anyway, they sure get the ball rolling quickly.  We are about, I'd guess anyway, over half way through our Home Study.  We have done TONS of paperwork and have chatted with our social worker, Beth, on the phone.  She's coming to our house for our first visit on Friday.  Yep, 9 days notice to have all our ducks in a row! Needless to say, since I got off the phone with her last night I have been working around here non stop to get things in order.  I think it's my way of nesting.  For me, I'm getting ready for my baby starting now.

One LAST really major point I have to make.  I know I've sent cards, made phone calls, and said it several times on facebook, but I just have to say it again.  THANK YOU.  God has been blessing us through you.  I cannot believe the people who have stepped up, and in every way.  The prayers and support we have gotten has literally blown me away.  We have said so many times these last few months how loved we feel.  Our relationships with each of you has been strengthened by leaps and bounds.  Financially, I have been overwhelmed with gratitude.  I cannot believe how many people came to our craft show, bought coffee, and have just sent us money.  People we've asked have gone above and beyond, and people we would have never thought to ask have just offered up so much.  Thank you.

Sorry it's a long one.  I'll try to keep them shorter in the future.  I guess this whole blog thing isn't too terrible.. ;)

Love,
Sara

5 comments:

  1. My darling Sara. Uncle Dan and I are praying each day for you and Michael and your wonderful new baby. We will wait with anticipation for your delivery as much as you are. Much Love, Aunt Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thanks for you support! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Sara, I do not know you but I know Sandy. My oldest son and his wife just brought home their bundle of joy 10 days ago. They too went through an Christian adoption agency somewhere in Denver. After 2 years of waiting they got a call they had been chosen and they had 1 month to get ready for the little boy that they would call their own. He is a precious little guy and has filled all our hearts with joy and happiness. Good Luck in your venture, I wish you the happiness that we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing! We love hearing success stories, thanks for sharing :)How fun for you guys.

      Delete
  3. So excited to follow your adoption journey! Feel free to visit our blog anytime, too!

    ReplyDelete